14 December 2008

So . . . This is what it sounds like when doves cry.

Just finished our porridge and tea at my aunts house and are readying ourselves to go down to the city (Dublin)

We spent Thursday and Friday night in Galway and had an excellent time. We stayed at Kinlay House Hostel right near Eyre (Air) Square. It was a really nice hostel although a bit more than we wanted to spend (14 euros a bed).

The first night we found an art opening and went in. There was free wine (with refills!!) and interesting art to view. Great find. Friday we got roommates! A couple from Miami and a girl from Australia - all 18 -19 years old. I'm not used to being the older person in a group - it was interesting. We ended up being the group leaders I think because we were older. The couple from Miami was new to backpacking and very excited about traveling without reservations. The lady from Australia got into a fun debate with Justin about Celsius vs Fahrenheit. I think Justin won it.

That day we went to the ocean and found some second hand shops where Justin bought his second pair of women's pants this week. This pair was fake leather - I'll have to get a picture up here.

We went for fish and chips at the famous McDonagh's. Justin said he has a tshirt from a previous trip there. It was very tasty.

In the evening we got the troops together to go to a pub. First we stopped for crepes. Snowy - from Australia- can't eat Gluten and they had Gluten free buckwheat crepes that she was very excited for. We got advice from a Kiwi there on a good pub and went.

The pub was pretty typical I think. There was a small little band playing without speakers or anything in the corner. The great news was there was some beer promotion going on and the nice people in charge kept giving us free beers. I think 4 or 5 free pints in total. What a deal!!

Saturday we found a great open air market with crafts and yummy Indian curry. Then back to Dublin on Saturday.

We went out with my cousins Saturday night to a pub in Dublin. They had friends and boyfriends in tow. I taught them Presidents and Assholes that we played a lot in Thailand. Another good night out.

Today there is a xmas market that we're going to downtown and then a calm evening at home. we have to get out the door pretty early to go HOME!!!

I'm excited for:
  • Family
  • Friends
  • Bathtubs
  • Sewing/knitting/crafting
  • Driving
  • Thrift stores
  • Speaking English
  • Cooking (especially Thai food)
  • Having a variety of clothes
We'll post again from the US when we are back. Thanks as always to our loyal readers (mainly our parents and Jon) for all the love and support!!

2 comments:

jillyb said...

Hi kids - Sounds like you had a "brilliant" time in Galway & with the cousins in Dublin. (Aleza, aren't you glad I didn't get a chance to "pick up" an Irish accent again. I'm glad you got to reconnect with your Irish cousins. This will be a short comment,as I'm going to try & make time for one last call before we have a joyful reunion in Chicago. Yeahh!! You tow are awesome & your blog entries are so fun & interesting. I'll have to remember to ask you what the deal is with Justin & women's pants. See you soon. Travel safely.
Love, Mom & Dad.

Miss A said...

You guys are sensational. I'm doing the camino with my bf in Feb this year, and your blog has by far been the most helpful thing I've seen! You guys are great writers and I'm only sorry that i stumbled on this so late in the game.
Congrats on your epic trip!
- Miss A (Melbourne, Australia)